Burn it Off

my self-inflicted panopticon failed.

5.30.2004

lots

my last weekend in the big apple...i've had a lot on my mind lately (i'll try not to blog it ALL right now ;)

biggest on my mind has been the next two years of my life, naturally. unfortunately the long subway rides home and the monotonous wanderings around the city my mom seems to enjoy have offered ample time to start the inevitalbe 'breakdown' of what my life is going to be like. day to day...night after night...*sigh*. my mom leaves tomorrow morning, and i can't sleep. brother and sis are asleep, both off work tomorrow. i think we might just chill. we've been doing some touristy crap EVERY FRICKIN' DAY lately 'cause my mom's a mom. a lot of it was enjoyable...but after being here for four fuckin' years i don't need to play tourist for so many days in a row. a museum a fuckin' SEMESTER was enough for me...but somehow i've been to like four in the past week (museum of natural history, brooklyn museum of art, something something of photography, guggenheim). all this while partying like i don't know when i'll be with both my brother and sister at the same time again...which i don't.

just a tough schedule, but i can at least relax now. thinkin' about it...i don't enjoy new york city all that much in the daytime. i mean what do we do here when the weather's nice? pretend we're not in new york. find a park and toss, ultimate somewhere, lie on the grass...i guess the one cool thing i REALLY enjoyed about nyc in the day was urban blading. i really wanted to go on a few more of my epic blading adventures (which i'd gone on w/ christian or brian or others to a lesser extent) but i really had to ship as much as i could for just practicallity..which meant the blades went. of course even if i had 'em i woulda' felt bad about bailing on my mom...

so now i can just sleep for a couple days anytime the sun is up :) you know...like i used to.

but yeah...home. in yet another insomniac daze i donned headphones and surfed the web out of boredom (i rarely 'surf' the web...usually just check a buncha' blogs). ended up reading boingboing.net, nytimes of all things, and eventually started searching hawaii things. honolulu seems to have gotten a craigslist recently. nowhere near as lively as NYC...but budding. also started crusin' the friendster-esque profile linkage shit in blogger. changed my hometown to honolulu in anticipation (felt like a part of me died?) of my final move...then clicked the link to see who else blogs from hawaii. interesting mix of people. pretty funny that ONE person had about half my amount of posts...and i think the rest of them averaged about...25 posts. my life in hawaii is definitely not gonna be a cyber-life.

surf, as i said, can be a solitary thing. i kind of like it that way a lotta the time but it's nice to go out with friends as well. hiking...some hikes are dangerous to go on alone. kid from my elementary school who i vaguely remembered died a few years ago hiking alone. they didn't find him for three days. i fully intend to get a motorcycle drivers licence and get a sports bike. money permitting... what else. bar scene is skanky. music scene is kinda sad. so yeah...coming from new york i'll be doing a complete 180 and turning into a day person :)

plans so far about my nights mostly entail pursuing the art and music i put aside for 'studies' (read: drinking my stress away). plannin' on playing a lotta guitar. learning protools. maybe trying to find/build a band again. learn drums (christian once told me that lead singers always wanna try drums and drummers always try lead at some point...). i wanna get back into ceramics...

some of you may not know this about me, so i'll brag a little. i never got a job until like my sophomore year in college. i never needed one 'cause i made a lotta money selling my pottery. my learned pottery about 25 years ago and through our childhood she did craft fairs and everything. we have a full studio at home, including clay in various stages and neglected buckets of glaze which need some attention...but yeah. i never learned until my brother got into it his senior year (my frosh) in high school. even then i insisited on teaching myself. eventually took it independantly up at school...we had the second best studio in the state (after UofH). my teacher loved me and i taught me almost every technique there is to know. i even taught him a little when i learned how to do crystal glazes (very complex process and delicate chemistry to create zinc orthosilicate crystals that seem to float on the surface of a pot). i almost dominated the art show 'cause i had so many pieces (i spent a lotta time in the studio) and that's when i got my break. one of the librarians who just loved me asked if my pots were for sale...which i hadn't even considered being at a school art show. i said why the hell not, gave her a price (modest) and she took it and told her friends. in about a year and a half i easily made a few thousand dollars...but that eventually ran out :)

so yeah. that'd be fun to get back into.

mmm..big blogs. i try to avoid these. oh well.

who survived?





*computer hum*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home